Building and Sustaining Professional Development
This module supports district, charter leaders and teacher-leaders in establishing systems and structures for planning, designing and evaluating high quality professional development. Participants will take an in depth look at the Guskey five phases of professional development; apply the processes of analysis, reflection and self-assessment throughout the module; work through the planning phases of the Guskey model of professional development; analyze effective implementation, delivery and facilitation skills; examine the importance of transitioning the PD learning/theory to practice through ongoing support; and use tools and processes to evaluate the effective facilitation of PD sessions.
6 weeks, 1.0 CEU
Currently scheduled sections
- Begins April 3 — Register Now
Instructional goals and learning objectives
- Understand the Guskey phases of professional development.
- Identify and describe the phases of the Guskey model of PD.
- Examine how the phases of the Guskey model of PD fit together.
- Analyze and evaluate the Guskey model as a method of professional development.
- Apply the processes of analysis, reflection and self-assessment throughout all phases of professional development practices.
- Use reflection as a tool for effective planning, design, delivery and evaluation of professional development.
- Use data to make PD decisions concerning what professional development is needed.
- Apply the planning phase of the Guskey model of professional development.
- Review and analyze the 5 levels in Guskey’s Planning Phase.
- Compare current practices with the Guskey planning phase.
- Produce a draft plan or model of PD for school or district.
- Analyze and apply effective implementation, delivery and facilitation skills that strengthen the effectiveness of professional
development in local districts and charters.
- Self-assess using the indicators for professional development practices. Identify practices that need development.
- Identify research based professional development practices.
- Identify and apply the principles of adult learning.
- Generate an understanding of a range of appropriate technology tools and strategies that support professional
development for adult learners.
- Use tools and processes to evaluate the effective facilitation of individual professional development
sessions and long term impact on teacher practice and student achievement.
- Develop a set of observable practices in the classroom that are evidence of strategies learned in PD.
- Identify and evaluate the impact of the PD on the organizational practices and beliefs of the
Alignment to North Carolina standards
- North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards
- 1. Teachers demonstrate leadership.
- b. Teachers demonstrate leadership in the school.
- c. Teachers lead the teaching profession.
- Week 1: Understanding the Phases of the Guskey Model of Professional Development
- An Introduction to the Guskey Model
Written and Discussion Activities: Complete a reflection on your current professional
development planning and implementation practice; Discuss your strengths and areas of improvement.
- Discussion Forum: Professional development and the Guskey Model
- Week 2: Identifying and Analyzing Appropriate Data to Plan Effective, Targeted Professional Development
- Identifying Data
Activities: Create a concept map showing types of data; read an article and respond using a graphic organizer.
- Discussion Forum: Identifying Data
- Analyzing and Using Data from Professional Development Surveys
Activities: Create a survey that will inform PD planning and discuss the survey model you chose and why.
- Assignment Professional Development Survey Submission
- Week 3: Applying the Planning Phases of the Guskey Model of Professional Development
- Guskey’s Backward Planning Process
Activities: Complete a checklist; reflect in your journal on a recent professional development that you delivered or attended.
- Identifying Characteristics of Effective Professional Development
Activities: Complete a questionnaire; discuss the critical components of effective professional development in a short written assignment.
- Assignment: Critical Components of Effective Professional Development
- Human Resources Needed for Professional Development
Activities: Complete a questionnaire; reflect in your journal on your responses to the questionnaire.
- Using the Planning Tool
Activities: Complete a professional development planning document, share with your colleagues in a discussion and offer feedback.
- Discussion Forum: Professional Development Planning
- Week 4: Analyzing and Applying Effective Implementation, Delivery and Facilitation Skills
- Implementation, Delivery and Facilitation
Activity: Journal entries noting strengths in implementing PD; Read article: Facilitation Skills: Developing Facilitating Leadership; and noting areas that need development
- Differentiation for Adult Learners
Activity: Discussion on Concerns-Based Adoption Model
- Concerns-Based Adoption Model
- Job Embedded Technology that Enables Learning
Activity: Reflect in journal on embedding technology in PD.
- Week 5: Transitioning the Learning/theory from the PD Session to Ongoing Practice
- The Role of Teacher/Instructional Leaders in Sustaining Professional Development
Activities: Reflect on your definition of teacher leadership; Article Reading: Many faces of Leadership; Submitted Activity: Administrator Support
- Assignment: Administrator Support
- Elements of Professional Development that have Measurable Impact and Potential for Ongoing Practice
Activities: Read articles; Contribute your ideas to the discussion forum
- Discussion Forum on Coaching
- Week 6: Evaluating Professional Development
- Using Tools and Processes to Evaluate Effective PD and Long Term Impact on Practice and Achievement
Activities: Submitted Activity — Teacher Professional Development Guide; Read the Guskey Article: Evaluating Professional Development; Discuss the impact of professional development
- Assignment: Teacher Professional Development Evaluation Guide
- Impact of Professional Development