Responsibilities of the 21st-Century Educator
This module begins with the foundational 4Cs (Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, and Creativity) and how those components contribute to educational practice. Learners will explore Professional Learning Networks and tools to create them; explore global awareness, global empathy and how to connect a classroom to the global community; and look at student-centered instruction and the use of digital strategies to promote such instruction.
7 weeks, 1.0 CEU
Currently scheduled sections
- Begins June 19 — Register Jun 1
Instructional goals and learning objectives
- The learner will understand the responsibilities of the 21st century educator and why they are important.
- Recall the 4Cs (Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Creativity).
- Plan the teacher’s responsibility in reflecting the 4Cs in their professional practice.
- Explore the qualities of good digital citizenship in the classroom.
- Apply the qualities of good digital citizenship in the classroom.
- Understand how data informs teacher practice.
- Implement the use of data into teacher practice.
- The learner will understand the importance of collaboration in growing as a professional.
- Understand what a professional learning network is in the 21st Century.
(Reference the fact that professional learning resources are a piece of the PLN, but the collaboration
is what makes it a network.)
- Explore a variety of professional collaboration resources.
- Create a personalized professional learning network.
- Expand your professional learning network beyond your school and district.
- The learner will analyze what it means to be a global citizen.
- Define global awareness.
- Understand global empathy.
- The learner will implement global awareness in the classroom.
- Explore websites/resources to connect with other classrooms globally.
- Integrate global issues into daily classroom instruction (as outlined in the P21 framework).
- The learner will explore some of the latest digital and mobile technologies to transform how students communicate, collaborate and create.
- Identify some research-based models for student centered learning.
- Explore multidisciplinary approaches to engage students.
- Investigate the use of digital tools that will allow students to produce, share and evaluate their learning.
- Promote the integration of digital tools in daily instruction.
Alignment to North Carolina standards
- North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards
- 1. Teachers demonstrate leadership.
- a. Teachers lead in their classrooms.
- b. Teachers demonstrate leadership in the school.
- c. Teachers lead the teaching profession.
- d. Teachers advocate for schools and students.
- e. Teachers demonstrate high ethical standards.
- 2. Teachers establish a respectful environment for a diverse population of students.
- a. Teachers provide an environment in which each child has a positive, nurturing relationship with caring adults.
- b. Teachers embrace diversity in the school community and in the world.
- c. Teachers treat students as individuals.
- d. Teachers adapt their teaching for the benefit of students with special needs.
- e. Teachers work collaboratively with the families and significant adults in the lives of their students.
- 3. Teachers know the content they teach.
- a. Teachers align their instruction with the North Carolina Standard Course of Study.
- b. Teachers know the content appropriate to their teaching specialty.
- c. Teachers recognize the interconnectedness of content areas/disciplines.
- d. Teachers make instruction relevent to students.
- 4. Teachers facilitate learning for their students.
- b. Teachers plan instruction appropriate for their students.
- c. Teachers use a variety of instructional methods.
- d. Teachers integrate and utilize technology in their instruction.
- e. Teachers help students develop critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- f. Teachers help students work in teams and develop leadership qualities.
- g. Teachers communicate effectively.
- h. Teachers use a variety of methods to assess what each student has learned.
- 5. Teachers reflect on their practice.
- a. Teachers analyze student learning.
- b. Teachers link professional growth to their professional goals
- c. Teachers function effectively in a complex, dynamic environment.
- Week 1: The 21st-Century Educator
- The 21st Century Framework and the 4 Cs
Activities: Fill in your 21c rainbow template and share a strategy in the discussion forum.
The 4C’s Wiki
- Week 2: Data Literacy and Digital Citizenship
- Data Literacy
Discussion Forum: 21st Century Skills
- Digital Citizenship
Discussion Forum: Time spent on the Internet
Wiki: Digital Citizenship Policy
Discussion Forum: Digital Citizenship
- Week 3: Professional Learning Networks
- What is a PLN? and Why Do We Need One?
Activity: Develop a presentation using PowToons and discuss what you learned.
Discussion Forum: PowToons
Discussion Forum: PLNs
- Exploring Tools for a Personal Learning Network
Activity: Explore PLNs created using web tools.
PLN Tools Wiki
- Creating your own PLN
Activity: Start creating your PLN.
Wiki: Creating a PLN
Discussion Forum: PLN task
- Week 4: Netiquette and Global Awareness
Discussion Forum: Netiquette
Discussion Forum: Reducing Risks in having a PLN
- Implementing Global Awareness in the Classroom Page
Discussion Forum: Global Awareness
Wiki: Interdisciplinary Connections
Discussion Forum: Current Events
Week 5: Connecting with classrooms globally
- Connecting with Other Classrooms Globally
Discussion Forum: Global Challenges
Discussion Forum: Classroom Examples
Wiki: Global classroom opportunities
- Skype in the Classroom Page
Activity: Write a personal commitment.
- Week 6: Global Citizenship, Global Awareness, and Global Empathy
- Global Citizenship
Discussion Forum: Global Awareness
Discussion Forum: Global Education
- Global Empathy
Activity: Global awareness survey
Wiki: Global Competence
Activity: Define global empathy; send message to the Global Classroom project.
Discussion Forum: Global Empathy
Wiki: Global Classroom Project
- Week 7: It’s All About Student Learning After All
- Student Centered Learning
Activity: Watch a video and reflect; read resources and post in a response in Padlet.
Wiki: Student Centered Learning
Wiki: Project Based Learning
Discussion Forum: Benefits/Disadvantages of PBL
- Evaluating the Appropriateness of Digital Tools for 21st Century Learning
Discussion Forum: TPACK Framework
- Assignment: Technology Integration
Discussion Forum: Learning Tools