Understanding the School’s Role in Suicide Prevention
Teachers, other school staff, and peers are often among the first to identify when a student is displaying warning signs that he or she may be contemplating suicide. The goal of this module is to provide teachers and school staff with an evidenced informed tool that enhances their knowledge for prevention, intervention, resources for assistance and recovery supports for the students, school staff and families.
Alignment to North Carolina standards
- North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards
- 1. Teachers demonstrate leadership.
- a. Teachers lead in their classrooms.
- 2. Teachers establish a respectful environment for a diverse population of students.
- a. Teachers provide an environment in which each child has a positive, nurturing relationship with caring adults.
- d. Teachers adapt their teaching for the benefit of students with special needs.
- North Carolina School Executive Standards
- 3. Cultural Leadership
- a. Focus on collaborative work environment
- b. School culture and identity
- d. Efficacy and empowerment
- 5. Managerial Leadership
- d. School expectations for students and staff
- 6. External Development Leadership
- a. Parent and community involvement and outreach